|  PARENTING CHAOS HOME  |    |

Toddler Saves Man From Burning Bungalow

A two year old boy alerted his hard of hearing granddad to a smoke alarm going off in a bungalow they were walking past which led to an 80 year old man being saved from almost certain death.

Barry Colpitt, 51 was taking his grandson Liam Curtis home to Myrrdin Baker Road after having spent quality time with each other when the sharp eared toddler heard the smoke alarm on Barmouth Road.

Granddad Barry told the Gazette, “I’m a bit hard of hearing so didn’t hear it and didn’t know anything about it.

“But he knows what the noise is because when my wife makes toast she quite often burns it and sets our alarm off.”

Without a second thought Barry bravely ran into the home that was already hazy with smoke with flames blazing in most of the rooms.

He managed to find the occupant and dragged him outside to safety where a man then helped Barry dragged the unconscious man away from the burning building.

It is believed that the fire was started by a chip pan which Barry noticed when he entered the house and saw the occupant lying close by the cooker on the floor.

“It was totally black in the bungalow - I was only in there for about 20 seconds and it was choking me” Barry said.

“Another minute later and I think it would have been too late. Once we were out, it got a lot worse and the windows exploded.”

Smoke and Flames were Pouring out Windows

On arriving at the scene Peter Jones who is the Watch Manager at Grandtown Fire Station said “The smoke and flames were pouring out when we arrived.

“There’s severe fire damage to the kitchen, hallway and bathroom, and moderate damage to the living room”.

The 80 year old man was taking to hospital where he was treated for superficial burns.

Barry told reporters that if it was not for Liam telling him about the alarm going off he would not have heard it himself and added that “the smoke alarm definitely saved his life.”

The fire has left the bungalow in tatters and caused severe smoke and fire damage.

Families all over Teesside are currently being alerted to fire safety by The Evening Gazette and Cleveland Fire Brigade with the Smoke Alarms Save Lives campaign.

This is yet again another example of how smoke alarms are vital for safety in our homes.

Most, if not all Fire Brigades offer free home safety checks to homes.  If you are unable to fit a smoke alarm yourself fire crews are only too happy to come along and either help you or install it for you.

Remember to double check ALL your smoke alarms in your home regular are clockwork.  There is no point in having smoke alarms in if your batteries run out. 

Without a doubt is better to change a DEAD battery than loss a loved one!!